[lug] Linux laptop

Maxwell Spangler lists at maxwellspangler.com
Wed Apr 29 13:21:02 MDT 2020

On Tue, 2020-04-28 at 20:26 -0500, John Karns wrote:
> A bit off point, perhaps - Call me old fashioned, but anyone
> elseprefer something older like one of the higher end (for its
> time)legacy Dells? Probably isn't quite as fast as these models, but
> isfine for casual use, and at least it has a swappable DVD / 2nd
> HDDbay, is dockable, shielded with a metal plate bottom, and has
> portsfor legacy peripherals!

Yes!

Two years ago I wanted to buy a personal laptop, researched all my
choices, and ended up buying a used Toshiba of the same model work had
given me.

Why I didn't buy new:

* Fear or Thunderbolt docking not working well
* Fear of new hardware not working well
* Not wanting to train my fingers on two styles of keyboards
* Not wanting to give up USB A ports, SD card port, wired ethernet,
carry dongles, etc.

Why I still like my 5 year old Toshiba:

* Normally fast enough
* All the ports
* 3.5 pounds, 'durable' plastic. Feels more comfortable than aluminum.
* Have several docks
* Super small, lightweight AC adapter
* Can change out storage via SATA or m.2 SATA (to Samsung SSD)
* Can change out RAM (to 16G)
* $100-400 in price

The Dell XPS 13 looked really good and continues to get good reviews.
Amongst laptops out there, it seems to be a very good model year over
year.

I think that as Linux users we're more tied to our personal comforts
than other people and many of us are using specific hardware because we
notice features more than averages users do.  Having said that, I look
forward to a 2020 model MacBook Pro 14" model.

--
Maxwell Spangler

Denver, Colorado, USA

maxwellspangler.com