[lug] FAT32 USB drive

David L. Willson dlwillson at thegeek.nu
Mon May 18 12:05:17 MDT 2020

If you zero the stick in Linux, there will not be a partition table for the piano to fail with.

By "zero the stick", I mean:

```bash
# quick
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=$STICK bs=1M count=1
# thorough
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=$STICK bs=4M # if I've got all the time in the world
```

STICK should be set to something like '/dev/sdc'. I use `lsblk` to find the correct value.

```bash
lsblk
export STICK=/dev/sdc # or whatever
```

Several years ago, I had a passel of sticks that defeated my tricks, because of some vendor-ware hidden in special places, but I haven't had that issue recently.