[lug] Jitsi, etc. (Michael Hirsch)

Dru Whitledge druw at oneimage.com
Fri May 22 16:24:34 MDT 2020

Thanks for sharing Michael, I'm hoping you'll share more. You are --
and other Linuxers you communicate with are comfortable with
downloading a pre-compiled Zoom client from un-reviewed code to your
Linux box?

I don't know that anyone disputes that Zoom would be technically
better -- based on Eric Yuan's contributions to Cisco's WebEx --  I
would assume -- but would be curious as to the relative trade-offs.
THAT much better to abandon all alternatives and standardize on a
product backed by evil spying ethics (now renounced?)? Anyone one on
FaceBook, of course, has zero worries about being spied on -- while
others -- like Elon Musk (who may be a wacko, but a innovative one)
don't want their data on or passing through Zoom.

Amongst your experience with Jitsi would that include experience with
Jitsi Desktop as a D / L client? Does that help close the quality gap
with Zoom? Mostly? Any? Completely? Any idea why development on it
was "stalled" in 2017? Is that D/Led client with fast direct access
to video the quality difference? Is Jitsi Desktop still available and
viable today?

Any opinions on why OSS has failed us as a "free" solution for Public
Infrastructure software and Zoom won that lotto -- clearly with an
impetuous, emotional stampede to the bright shiny object -- that now
seems unstoppable (used as a verb) even if Jitsi could match the quality?

Dru