[lug] Guitar to USB

Mike Witt msg2mw at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 14:51:40 MDT 2020

On 06/16/2020 02:25:19 PM, Davide Del Vento wrote:
> I don't understand how this could work.

I know. That's what I thought, but ...

> Isn't the output of the guitar analog signal that needs to go into
> and A/D
> converter and then into a D/D adapter converting from the raw output
> of the
> A/D converter to the USB protocol?
> Or does the cable include all of that, pretty much like the Focusrite
> Scarlett and similar devices do?

It supposedly does, though it must be pretty small. You can't tell it's
anything but a cable. Yet many reviews claim it works.

> Anyway, I had the Scarlett for a while and it worked in linux. By
> worked, I
> mean the OS recognized it as a valid I/O system (i.e. mic/line in and
> speaker/headphone out) and I could use it to record stuff e.g. with
> https://www.audacityteam.org/

I'll give Audacity a try. I have tried to hook it up to Rosegarden
(which I've used for various Midi projects) but I might not be doing
the right things to get audio in. I was hoping to try something simple
first, to make sure the cable is actually working, before going to the
Rosegarden list. Maybe audacity is the next stop.

Thanks!