[lug] Guitar to USB

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 15:14:42 MDT 2020

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 11:52 AM Mike Witt <msg2mw at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/16/2020 02:25:19 PM, Davide Del Vento wrote:
> > Anyway, I had the Scarlett for a while and it worked in linux. By
> > worked, I
> > mean the OS recognized it as a valid I/O system (i.e. mic/line in and
> > speaker/headphone out) and I could use it to record stuff e.g. with
> > https://www.audacityteam.org/
>
> Good tip on Audacity. I was able to record the guitar through USB and
> play it back, and it sounded OK. So whatever other problems I'm having
> it appears that the cable works on my system. So that's really what I
> was trying to determine. Now on to the Rosegarden list to figure that
> out :-)

Glad to hear. So we know there is an unidirectional audio interface (A/D
direction) in an inexpensive cable one can buy. If you have other options,
e.g. scrawny built-in microphone, decent external microphone, dedicated
audio interface such as the focusrite (perhaps lended by a friend), let me
know how the quality of these compares.

I was shocked when the Focusrite I bought, with a fairly good condenser
microphone produced results very close to built-in microphones on various
laptops I had (yes, I listened back to the recording from the Focusrite
audio interface itself, both with decent headphones and with HiFi
amp+speakers). So I returned both and went back to the easier option.

Out of curiosity, what are you trying to accomplish? Just record yourself
(which is an important thing, even if only for practicing)?

Cheers,
Davide

PS: this is OT, but ought to be known by everybody who does music and
Linux: https://www.modartt.com/