[lug] Understanding a SSL/TLS Certificate Issue

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Fri Jun 19 16:15:42 MDT 2020

Jed,

In the original message, you said there was an expired intermediate cert,
which definitely is a problem with certain clients.

We had something similar, but it only showed up with our site pinger (zoho
site24x7). The browsers were fine with the cert, because they don't look at
the intermediate certs in the bundle (apparently).

If this is the issue (easy to check), you have to replace the intermediate
cert bundle with the new intermediate certs from Sectigo:

https://support.sectigo.com/articles/Knowledge/Sectigo-Intermediate-Certificates

Note that there are two types of Sectigo certs. I found this Namecheap page
helpful:

https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/10228/14/sectigo-root-certificate-expiring-may-30-2020/#2

Rob