[lug] DD-WRT, was Re: network question - pfsense, dd-wrt, etc

Maxwell Spangler lists at maxwellspangler.com
Thu Jul 16 14:33:03 MDT 2020

Hi,
Just thought I'd share an opinion of DD-WRT.
In the past, when consumer devices were most definitely missing
featurse I thought DD-WRT was a great idea.
But after having bought about 8 used consumer routers at thrift stores
and experimented with DD-WRT, I'd summarize my experience as:
* Bricked about 15-20% of them.  Explored using serial io pins to
recover them and.. that seems like a waste of time these days.
* Upgrading to an initial version or a new version always seems like an
adventure with great risk. There isn't any good way to tell what's
stable, tested and supported.  If you're into the adventure, great, but
not me, not anymore.
* One key area where DD-WRT seems to be falling behind is the ability
to use a smartphone to monitor it with a dashboard and optionally
configure it.  This is one of those areas where I don't *require* it,
but as more and more things allow this I want it then I expect it then
I'm disappointed I don't have it.
If anyone wants to play with DD-WRT I've got a few older netgear units
I'd like to get rid of in the near future.  Older units with slower
processors but still quite capable.
I'm currently using an Negear Nighthawk R7000 with DD-WRT 3.0 on it.
I'm really happy with it, but my key area of concern is the lack of a
confident way to upgrade to a newer, stable release to protect against
any security issues.
Thoughts, anyone?

--
Maxwell Spangler