[lug] The "cw" program doesn't work well with pulseaudio on Mint 19.3

Bucky Carr bcarr at purgatoire.org
Sat Aug 15 19:55:07 MDT 2020

Morse is still used a fair amount, actually. Most ham radio repeaters
ID themselves in Morse. VORs and TACANs ID themselves with Morse. I
think airport localizers still ID themselves with Morse.

Some common household devices use Morse code to signal their distress
- my water detectors signal SOS (at 120 dB!) when they detect water or
when the battery needs changing.

In the movies, the jailhouse mode of communications seemed to be by
Morse code.

Still find a fair amount of Morse being used in the CW/Data portion of
the Amateur Radio bands. I would say that Morse code is simpler to
implement than most of the newer data modes.

If all else fails, radio communications-wise, it is often possible to
generate what sounds like Morse code in some primitive ways.