[lug] The "cw" program doesn't work well with pulseaudio on Mint 19.3

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Sat Aug 15 20:04:21 MDT 2020

On Sat, 15 Aug 2020 19:36:16 -0600
Davide Del Vento wrote:

> Hope this helps.

Yes, it does - it tells me that it isn't just something unique to my
system. Thank you.

> PS:
>
> Question #1: how about a file with the appropriate number of empty lines?

I wouldn't have thought of that, but since there'd be no letters to make
into morse, there'd be no sound output to test.

> Question #2: do people still learn Morse code these days that more
> efficient and simple-to-implement electronic (digital) communications
> are available over a channel able to transmit sound? I mean, besides
> as a hobby, obviously.... I see some use of the maritime signal flags
> as a backup in case the electronics is broken, but Morse?

Oh yes, morse code and "cw" operation is still there. ("cw" is the mode of
transmission - hence the name of the program.) There are still use cases
for it. In the case of a power outage situation, with cell towers out of
commision, and possibly phone lines disrupted, amateur radio operators can
still communicate. In fact, DHS/FEMA has operating agreements for such -
see "ARES" - Amateur Radio Emergency Service.

The thing about the cw mode of operation is that the available transmission
is applied only to the carrier wave, which is either on or off, so the
signal occupies very narrow bandwidth, and the power isn't spread over a
wider section of frequency, as is the case with AM, sideband, and FM. This
can be quite advantageous in multiple scenarios. And, in a high-noise
environment, it can be easier to "copy" morse code than voice.

As an aside, there are digital modes for amateur radio as well. The latest
thing, "FT8" is quite impressive for the ability to extract the data from
the noise.

For a demonstration of morse code vs. SMS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRuRE-Bwk1U

Listening to that morse, I've heard it done a bit faster. It takes a lot of
practice though.

--
All operating systems suck, but Linux just sucks less
 - Linus Torvalds