[lug] Issue updating google chrome

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 18:23:15 MDT 2020

Thanks David.

For your curiosity, it's not a website. As far as I understand Chromium vs
Chrome I don't think there could be a website, even purposily crafted,
which works in the latter but not in the former (except perhaps some DRM
things? but I don't do them)
It's about the organization of my computer activity.

For work, I need about 20 websites (tabs) to be open at once and for
convenience I often double that to around 40 (on two Chrome windows, on two
monitors).

For personal life, I use 8-10 tabs in my "important" activity, in Firefox,
with no script strictly blocking almost everything (on a different virtual
desktop).

For "regular" browsing of "I don't care" websites that I need, or other
things that I do care, but I do not mind losing if a website makes the
browser crashes or similar issues, I use Chromium.
Examples of "I don't care website that I need" are search results. I first
attempt them in Firefox, and then "move" them to Chromium if forced by them
not working with no-script and me **really** wanting that search result.

I could switch Chrome and Chromium, but not Firefox because of no-script
not really blocking crap in Chrom*.

My work laptop is managed by my employer and offers Chrome, Firefox and
Safari. There I use Chrome for work related websites and Firefox (with less
tabs) for my personal ones, with Safari for "throw away" stuff. Using the
same browser for 2 out of 3 things drives me less mad than the other option
(using the same browser for only one of the three options, and besides some
of the work-related things do not work in Safari, e.g. JupyterHub). Perhaps
I could ask them to install Chromium in my work laptop, but I prefer the
"don't ask" policy.

Cheers,
Davide