[lug] Issue updating google chrome

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 19:54:08 MDT 2020

> > For work, I need about 20 websites (tabs) to be open at once and for
> > convenience I often double that to around 40 (on two Chrome windows, on
> > two monitors).
>
> And to think, I used to get by with just a VT-100. :)

In those days I was probably using the C=64 and then the command.com of
DOS, both single-tasking. When I upgraded to a PC with Linux, I got by with
the 6 terminals you get with CTRL-Fn. For what I had to do back then, those
were plenty, most of the times I used just 3 or 4 (and one was a
long-running, compute task that ran for days and I only checked
occasionally to see if it had finished). The others: one text editor, bash,
and another shell alternating between a web browser (lynx) and a mail
client (pine), but I was dial-up pay-by-the-minute and did not have a job,
so I used internet very sparingly (more often I did recursive wget's to
calmly navigate offline later).

> (And never in my life have I had that many tabs open in a browser.)

Good for you!! Unless COVID has changed things (right now I obviously have
no occasion to see), some of the people I work with have so many tabs that
each does not even display the first letter of the website (but that is
just sloppiness, which is what "forced" browser developers to decide to not
load tabs until you click on them on startup)

> All operating systems suck, but Linux just sucks less
>  - Linus Torvalds

Amen