[lug] networking question

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Sat Sep 12 17:51:38 MDT 2020

On 9/12/2020 5:36 PM, David L. Willson wrote:
> This feels like a newbie question that should be obvious to me, but it's
> not obvious to me, so I'll ask.
>
> If I have a subnet behind my router, and I want to put *part* of that
> subnet (a sub-subnet?) behind an interior router (sub-router?)... Can I
> do that?
>
> Example (the actual case in point):
>
> I have 67.42.246.112/29. It routes through 67.42.246.126. I have control
> of 67.42.246.126. It's not Linux, but it's not entirely brainless, either.
>
> Is there a way for me to carve the upper or lower /28 (67.42.246.112/28
> or 67.42.246.120/28) off into an interior subnet and put it behind an
> actual Linux box?
>
> Come to look at it, I guess it would have to be the lower half, or I'd
> have to re-number my router. Not the end of the world, but no sense
> adding pointless work, either.
>
> I know I lose three addresses in the process for the new network,
> router, and broadcast address, but is it *possible*? Does it work? If
> so, could I get a hand setting it up?

The important thing is that every device knows where to send the
packets. This happens on both the Ethernet and IPv4 level. IPv6 too if
you use it.

Subnetting such small networks can waste a lot of addresses because
making a subnet creates a network address, a gateway address and a
broadcast address.

An alternative is to use host routes or proxy ARP. With host routes
there's no subnet. It simply describes that this one IP address is on
this network, or to use a particular gateway to get to it.

With Proxy ARP the gateway device for your "sub-sub-network" claims to
own all of the IP addresses behind it. That way, all Ethernet packets
for those IP addresses go to the gateway, which forwards them to its
connected networks. The devices on those networks send their packets
back using the default gateway.

Or kind of like doing Proxy ARP in both directions, you set your
interior "router" to act as a switch, or bridge, and it forwards IP
packets in all directions by tracking and forwarding based on detected
MAC addresses.

Those alternatives can save a lot of IP addresses when working with
small IPv4 networks.

--
                 Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                         Study Hard -- Be Evil