[lug] Running a mixed Python environment

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Sep 14 17:51:57 MDT 2020

On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 09:22:16 -0600
"Jed S. Baer" <blug at jbaer.cotse.net> wrote:

> And in fact I don't. I did write a couple things, but chirp comes from
> danplanet.
>
> As far as pulling off the bandaid, Ubuntu is just one big sticky
> bandaid for me. For various reasons, not all of which have to do with
> the OS, spending time converting code isn't on my list, especially if
> I can get an environment where I have the modules, without a lot of
> pain.

What I've been doing is converting all Python that *I wrote*. It's
consisted mainly of converting print commands to print functions, and
was pretty easy.

As far as code written by others that hasn't been upgraded to Python3,
I consider such code unmaintained and seek alternatives. Py2 to Py3
conversion is just too easy to be a problem for any reasonable code
with a reasonably competent developer(s).

I use Void Linux, and several times a year I need to replace a removed
program with an alternative. This is to be expected with all software,
free or otherwise.

> I don't have any trouble invoking these scripts under Python2, what I
> need is to get the modules they use where they can find them.

That's understandable, but the Python project sunsetted Python 2 on
1/1/2020. https://www.python.org/doc/sunset-python-2/ . What this means
to you is that the longer you wait to pull off the bandaid, the more
painful it will be. Every distribution will sooner or later stop
supplying the deprecated and sunseted Python2x, so the sooner one
switches, and finds alternatives for those projects refusing to switch,
the less pain one will endure.

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive