[lug] Running a mixed Python environment

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Tue Sep 15 07:57:23 MDT 2020

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 2:17 AM Steve Litt wrote loads of flamebait:
> Some projects are huge, but the Python folks announced in 2008 that
> they'd sunset in 2015, and eventually moved that out to 2020.

Can you explain why Dropbox, a company founded in 2007, who hired Guido van
Rossum in 2012, still was migrating the code base in 2020? (Dropbox may
still be using py2. There hasn't been a "we're done" blog post afaict.)

Flame: I have heard that the Python folks have learned their lesson, but
they are still breaking APIs on every minor release and sometimes on patch
releases. Every time we upgrade Python versions or use PIP, it's a
crapshoot of whether we lose hours or days fixing things.

Read Steve Yegge's post on why backward compatibility is important:

https://medium.com/@steve.yegge/dear-google-cloud-your-deprecation-policy-is-killing-you-ee7525dc05dc

Or read my post on why semantic versioning (aka romantic versioning) is a
joke and also why backwards compatibility is important:

https://www.robnagler.com/2015/04/11/Major-Release-Syndrome.html

Rob