[lug] Running a mixed Python environment

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Sep 16 14:48:20 MDT 2020

Jeffrey,

I agree with you that humans are better than indenting than bracing (or
begin ending). Python is much more readable than C, Perl, Lua or Ruby.

Another good thing about indent-based namespaces or whatever you call
the Python way is that it forever ends all those brace placement wars
as enumerated in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indentation_style#Styles
. At Santa Monica Community College I learned the Whitesmith Style and
used it on everything, but when one of my buddies was briefly
co-developer on my UMENU software (Perl, back then), he'd always
convert my Whitesmith style to his favorite, OTBS style. Then I'd
convert his back.

Ultimately, because Vim defaults to OTBS, I started using OTBS
everywhere. The point is, when braces are involved, reading somebody
else's code can look like gibberish, or at least require significant
thought. Python removes the braces, thus removing some confusion.

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive