[lug] compatibility (not even backward!) issues

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 20:01:00 MDT 2020

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 1:19 PM Rob Nagler <nagler at bivio.biz> wrote:

> I'm sorry, Davide. PIP is a mess.

Amen.

> Along with chronological versioning, I'm a strong proponent of registered
> namespaces. Java got it right with the exception that java.* namespace
> should have been com.java.*.

Yes, that would have solved the problem of the bug I quoted. But as your
"is a mess" comment implies, there is much more

> Another related article of mine:
> https://www.robnagler.com/2016/12/17/Digital-Name-Management.html

Funny that you conclude that owning your own domain is safer than letting
Google (or whoever do), whereas Naoki Hiroshima's article which you linked
argues the reverse, and Mat Honan's one which he links, well, that's now
history and it is what made me really become angry at Amazon and avoid
utilizing it for a lustrum. Sadly, I'm back to using it, because there is
no competitor (they have "eaten" everything else).