[lug] Gnome Announces New Versioning Scheme

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Sun Sep 20 11:55:31 MDT 2020

Seems folks found the topic of versioning interesting.

https://lwn.net/Articles/831746/

"After nearly 10 years of 3.x releases, the minor version number is getting
unwieldy. It is also exceedingly clear that we're not going to bump the
major version because of technological changes in the core platform, like
we did for GNOME 2 and 3, and then piling on a major UX change on top of
that. Radical technological and design changes are too disruptive for
maintainers, users, and developers; we have become pretty good at iterating
design and technologies, to the point that the current GNOME platform, UI,
and UX are fairly different from what was released with GNOME 3.0, while
still following the same design tenets."

I found some of this interesting, not because I care about how they version
their stuff, but because of related things that are mentioned.

"GNOME is not just a technological platform, but also a set of design
guidelines and an [ethos][3]"

An "ethos". I guess that explains why software discussions end up seeming
like religious arguments. But in following the link to
https://blogs.gnome.org/aday/2017/08/08/the-gnome-way/
I'm feeling more "enlightened".

"Q: Does this versioning scheme apply to every GNOME project?
A: The intended audience for this versioning scheme is GNOME users."

My suspicion is that most end users don't think much about what version of
Gnome or KDE or whatever is packaged with the distro they're using.

This would the place where the extended rant goes. :) But now that I
understand that removing the GUI option to fiddle with theme colors is
grounded in religious conviction, I'll forgo further commentary.

--
All operating systems suck, but Linux just sucks less
 - Linus Torvalds