[lug] How to boot from another HD?

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Sat Sep 26 17:25:51 MDT 2020

On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 16:39:35 -0600
Michael Hirsch wrote:

> I can see the drive, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to
> set things up to boot from it.

Yeah, I remember those days.

> I used to be a master of editing lilo or grub files, but it has
> changed in the last 10 or more years, not to mention "secure boot"
> which scares me, but seems to work.

Are you wanting to dual boot?

If not, I think you can go into your BIOS and tell it to boot from that
drive.

Of course, one thing I know is that Ubuntu 20 now apparently makes entries
into the BIOS/EFI area. I'm not sure whether that throws a wrench into
things. A friend of mine had some trouble with this, and I think he ended
up restoring his BIOS from a backup. However, the setup screen - I would
think it'd let you modify this, if needed.

--
All operating systems suck, but Linux just sucks less
 - Linus Torvalds