[lug] Ubuntu is auto-installing new kernels

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Fri Oct 2 09:13:56 MDT 2020

On Fri, 02 Oct 2020 09:07:10 -0600
Aaron D. Johnson wrote:

> > Does anyone know how to turn this off?
>
> Do you have the unattended-upgrades package installed?  It's been part
> of the default installation for a number of years now.  Take a look at
> the docs for it and, if you have a separate /boot partition, it's good
> to keep an eye on its space usage, too.

Yes, I found that. Yet another change in how things work from one version
to the next. Used to be, I could just take that out of my session, and be
done with it. So I guess it's now a system task?

Anyways, I just removed it.

I also killed the

/usr/bin/python3 /usr/share/unattended-upgrades/unattended-upgrade-shutdown
--wait-for-signal

process.

I hope that doesn't break anything. Maybe I just won't reboot until I'm
ready to switch to Arch, or something else.
--
All operating systems suck, but Linux just sucks less
 - Linus Torvalds