[lug] Email Services

Mike Witt msg2mw at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 11:07:40 MDT 2020

I'm looking for recommendations for email services.

Here's the situation. I have a handful of Wordpress sites, scattered
over various hosting companies (mostly Bluehost and Siteground). All of
these sites need to send outgoing email, and some of them need to
receive mail.

Right now each site sends (and some receive) mail through the servers
of the respective hosting company. This situation is undesirable for a
number of reasons, but the main catalyst here is that I'm hoping to
move a couple of these sites to AWS Lightsail and (especially
receiving) mail there if very different from the other providers.

So I'd like to consolidate all my mail services with one provider.

I need:
(1) A regular outgoing mail server.
(2) POP and IMAP for incoming mail.

Like to have:
(1) Forwarding, for people who don't want to set up POP.
(2) A webmail interface (for quick access when on the road or whatever).

Now one thing I'm not to clear on is whether I have to be concerned
about the "reputation" of the mail server provider. All of the records
that I have to put in place (various TXT records with things like SPF
and DKIM records) are on my domains. But obviously the servers that I'm
going through will also show up in the mail headers. I have no idea if
people like Google, Hotmail, etc filter on these or not.

In terms of payments, I'd be better off with someone who charges by
volume, rather than by domain, since I've got a number of domains (and
subdomains!) but the actual amount of email in total is quite small
(averaging less than 100 messages a day for all my sites together).

Appreciate any ideas!

-Mike