[lug] Ubuntu fix broken package

rmcollins7 rmcollins7 at lpcnextlight.com
Fri Oct 30 14:07:18 MDT 2020

I am thinking the tools I have won't work  on this problem.I don't feel competent open up and fix manually. Found thismarketecheasier.com/fix-broken-packeges-ubuntu/Recommendssudo dpkg --remove -- --force-remove ---reinstreq When dpkg is done clean up with Aptsudo apt cleansudo apt updateClean up with AptI am not familiar with Apt, it seems to work. Sounds like the update will be lost.I appreciate seeing your comments. BobSent from my Galaxy Tab A
-------- Original message --------From: Bear Giles <bgiles at coyotesong.com> Date: 10/28/20  3:14 PM  (GMT-07:00) To: "Boulder (Colorado) Linux Users Group -- General Mailing List" <lug at lug.boulder.co.us> Subject: Re: [lug] Ubuntu fix broken package What's the actual command and error messages?What's the package?What's your distro version? Is it up to date?Very occasionally I've needed to download the source and rebuild the package locally but it's been because I was doing local development that required an incompatible version of a standard library. It's been very rare though.BearOn Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 12:58 PM D. Stimits <stimits at comcast.net> wrote:> Hello,

> I have been monitoring this list for over 20  years and recognize many
> of the names of people that I met when I went to the meetings in Boulder.
>
> I have a problem that I cannot fix, broken package  .The recommended fix
> was,  sudo apt-get -f install .
>
> I have tried a lot of different apt-gets and alt F2 s and I am
> wondering  if I am not doing it correctly, such, as should the app open
> or closed.
>
> When I had a similar problem in the past it just worked with the
> recommended apt-get . Of course it was a long time ago because Linux
> works so well.
>
> Your advice would be appreciated.
>
> Bob
You might try this:
sudo apt update
sudo apt --fix-broken install

Join us on IRC: irc.hackingsociety.org port=6667 channel=#hackingsociety