[lug] routing question...

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Tue Nov 3 15:02:04 MST 2020

Yeah, that was a typo. We've actually set up several address ranges in our
VPN but I'm simplifying the situation for simplicity.

The mac users have a pretty interface but it's just a wrapper to OpenSSL.
On my linux boxes I just run 'openvpn corp.ovpn'. That conf file includes a
push to the local routing tables etc and has everything go through a fixed
IP address on the other side.

That's why I can manually change the gateway metrics after I've established
a connection. They push

   $ sudo ip route add default via 172.28.1.1

and I'll replace it so it only routes the CIDR mentioned above. Everything
works fine.

I'll do this when I'm connected to the VPN on my home system. They did as
well, for awhile, but I think they changed it back to a default route
because of some legacy servers that are outside of the walled garden. I
would prefer to go through the laptop though since I noticed it sometimes
changed my network settings without warning. I assume it's from Network
Manager noticing that the VPN connection had dropped and reestablishing it.