[lug] Samba is not visible from Win7 machine (2nd try)

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Thu Nov 26 17:39:02 MST 2020

Sorry if this is a dupe - it didn't come back to me. Also, new info.

I'm stuck here. I had this working in the past, probably the somewhat
distant past, Mint17, I think. Anyways, the config on the Win7 machine is
unchanged, and I've checked obvious things such as being a member of the
workgroup, and the workgroup name matching.

At present, there are no firewall rules preventing access, and I can bring
up the default Apache page from Win7 using this machine's IP address.

I've also looked at an old smb.conf file, and I see nothing extra special
or config lines I've missed.

I can also connect locally to the SMB share, using the plugin for the caja
file manager. Workgroup name, username, password are all OK.

I've played around a bit with the interfaces parameter, but it makes no
difference. nmbd reports:
 Server ... is now a local master browser ... subnet 192.168.0.46

And, with the interfaces parameter commented out, Samba just uses the first
one on the system, which is fine, since there's only one. nmbd reports the
same message.

So, I fired up wireshark, and these 2 machines are talking, but mostly I
don't know what they're saying (hey, is anyone there; yes, I'm here, my
name is Server ...). Except:

Session Setup Response, Error:
STATUS_MORE_PROCESSING_REQUIRED, NTLMSSP_CHALLENGE

And:

Session Setup Request, NTLMSSP_AUTH, User: \

And after that is stuff like tree disconnect, and session logoff.

So, in the past, Win7 has just prompted me for the username/password for
accessing a specific share. In this case, it isn't even getting to the point
of showing this server as reachable.

If I attempt to map a drive directly, using \\server\share, it doesn't
complain about it being not found, but it also doesn't accept a connect
with user/password (yes, I've done setup in smbpasswd).

I've played with the Windows policies for NTLM and encryption level, to no
effect.

From another machine, using Mint18, trying the
smbclient command, it errors with NT_STATUS_HOST_UNREACHABLE

And, a new twist is the appearance of errors in log.nmbd:
find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
  Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name HAMHOCK<1b> for the
  workgroup HAMHOCK.

(Yes, that's the correct workgroup name.) I don't think this is important
either.

Anyone have any suggestions?

--
All operating systems suck, but Linux just sucks less
 - Linus Torvalds