[lug] The Return of Gopher, + The Gemini Project

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Sat Mar 6 19:47:30 MST 2021

This is both retro-cool, and nouveau-cool. On Slashdot I came across an
article about the resurgence of Gopher, and a new thing that's like an
uber-Gopher, called Gemini. It's all about a simplified "web" of linked
stuff - an alternative to the messy bloated ad-filled web that we all know
and loathe/love. I've only just started looking into it, and I feel a
rabbit-hole sort of thing coming on, at least for a while.

https://thedorkweb.substack.com/p/gopher-gemini-and-the-smol-internet

You can disagree with the opening premises, but still, read on and see
what's happening.

I installed the Lagrange client, from Flathub. Works fine in my Ubuntu
system. Mint integrates Flatpak so I guess you can get it using their
software boutique thingie or whatever. There are plenty of clients
available, even one you can run in Emacs.

--
All operating systems suck, but Linux just sucks less
 - Linus Torvalds