[lug] Wiki server suggestions for small organization

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Thu Mar 11 21:20:54 MST 2021

On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 23:01:20 -0500
Steve Litt wrote:

> My impression is that the server serves only to the LAN to which it's
> connected. I serve some in-house only stuff via nginx on my Daily
> Driver Desktop (DDD).

Oh, not at all. With Raspian, that's essentially Debian, so at least with
Apache, I just tell it to accept connections (couple ways to do that), and
config the firewall/DMZ to forward the port(s) to it. I had a local wiki
accessible from outside once, though for security reasons I used ssh port
forwarding to get to it. That's another way.

> >I like DokuWiki because it's so simple to set up and administer.
>
> Thanks. I'll try it.

Super easy. Untar to /some/path, and set up the webserver alias, e.g. wiki
to /some/path, then http://localhost/wiki/ in the browser, run the config
script. You need PHP, no database. I back it up using rdiff-backup.

--
All operating systems suck, but Linux just sucks less
 - Linus Torvalds