[lug] Gparted doesn't recognize new USB drive

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Fri Mar 12 13:40:00 MST 2021

>     On Fri, 2021-03-12 at 11:42 -0700, Jed S. Baer wrote:
>
>         > >         I just picked up a new 32GB USB drive, Phillips model # FM32FD758B, USB3.0.
> >
> >     >
>         > >         Here are kernel messages:
> >         usb 2-4.2: new SuperSpeed Gen 1 USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd
> >         usb 2-4.2: New USB device found, idVendor=13fe, idProduct=6300, bcdDevice=
> >         1.00 usb 2-4.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
> >         usb-storage 2-4.2:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
> >         scsi host5: usb-storage 2-4.2:1.0
> >         scsi 5:0:0:0: Direct-Access              2309 PRAM        1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI:
> >         0 CCS sd 5:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg5 type 0
> >         sd 5:0:0:0: [sde] Attached SCSI removable disk
> >          * I think this is where I invoked Gparted *
> >         JFS: nTxBlock = 8192, nTxLock = 65536
> >         SGI XFS with ACLs, security attributes, realtime, no debug enabled
> >         usb 2-4.2: Disable of device-initiated U1 failed.
> >         usb 2-4.2: Disable of device-initiated U2 failed.
> >
> >     >
>     http://xillybus.com/tutorials/usb-superspeed-lpm-control-testing-with-linux
>     http://xillybus.com/tutorials/usb-ltssm-lfps-power-management
>
>         > >
> >     >
>     "Only host-initiated low-power state transition is discussed here: Even though the USB spec allows the device to request transition into U1 or U2, it’s assumed (and to some extent taken care of) that the device never does that."
>
>     Could it be that the Philips USB stick is going into sleep mode and Linux is unable to disable it?

A lot of devices using USB do not handle suspend/resume/low power correctly. However, if the issue shows up on a device right after it plugs in, I wouldn't expect that to be an issue unless something it plugged into (such as a HUB) was already in that mode and failing whatever connects it. The list of devices with USB suspend and lower power quirks is enormous though, so who knows?

>     So while Linux sees it, it goes to sleep and neither parted nor gnome-disks can therefore talk to it ?
>
>     I'm just guessing.

This could be part of it, but unlikely if he just plugged in the device.

>     I might plug a few different USB sticks including the Philips into the computer at the same time, do 'lsusb -vv' and compare the details of the different sticks to see if anything such as 'Device Status' jumps out.
>
>     I don't know of a simple CLI command to show the device state other than lsusb..

I only do this on embedded systems, but often there is a file you can cat somewhere in "/proc" or "/sys". Not sure what would be there on x86_64/amd64.

>     You could redirect your email query to the Linux usb list and see if they respond?
>
>     I'd try the Philips on another computer, another OS to verify it. Also try other USB sticks on your computer to verify the state of your OS is healthy and the port is healthy, too.

I'd also definitely agree to try it on another computer as well. Some computer ports in combination with some USB devices are just flakey (a technical term!).