[lug] Gparted doesn't recognize new USB drive

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Fri Mar 12 14:05:51 MST 2021

> I think I've found it. Comparing my usb.ids file to what's provided here:
> http://www.linux-usb.org/usb-ids.html
>
> I'm missing 13fe/6300. I edited /var/lib/usbutil/usb.ids with no effect,
> but I suppose I have to reload the kernel modules.

Normally one would expect a manufacturer's ID and a device ID within that list of manufacturer's USB devices. That costs money though, and quite often knockoff devices and companies who simply don't have the money will use manufacturer ID 1 and device ID 2. Legitimate companies do this, but so do bootleg fake product companies. What is important is that the device announcing itself as mass storage determines the driver, not the manufacturer or device ID. The place where legitimate IDs matter greatly is in the kernel code which detects devices with bugs/quirks and adjusts for the quirk. So if (I didn't go back through all the email, but I remember manufacturer/device of 1/2...maybe I'm remembering wrong) there is a quirk and the device does not have a true manufacturer/device ID, then there is no way to work around the quirk.