[lug] Gparted doesn't recognize new USB drive

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Fri Mar 12 14:12:06 MST 2021

> D. Stimits wrote:
>
> > I'd also definitely agree to try it on another computer as well. Some
> > computer ports in combination with some USB devices are just flakey (a
> > technical term!).
>
> Aaarrrgh! Yes, I finally relented. It's fine on my Lenovo machine. I'm
> going to hope that after I get the USB subsystem to recognize a new usb.ids
> file, it'll be OK.

Sometimes, if it is just a signal quality issue, then you can try a HUB if there was none, or try the root port without a HUB. Or try a different model of HUB (preferably externally powered). Every USB device in combination with the HUB (and the PC has the root HUB, but it is still a HUB) can have different signal quality and timing which fails in weird combinations even on 100% functional hardware. Laptops and NUCs seem to be most problematic for this.

There is also a known issue for USB with some Ryzen chipsets. If this is Ryzen, then check this out:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-issuing-usb-fix-for-ryzen-chips-bios-patch-coming-in-early-april