[lug] LUG Digest, Vol 210, Issue 2 -- response -- creating a Zoomicater

Dru Whitledge druw at oneimage.com
Sat Apr 3 17:30:05 MDT 2021

Similar to some of Jeffrey's (polite, diplomatic)
rant on OSSers using black box commercial
software -- I always had hoped to hear Linuxers
debating installing a blackbox Zoom client --
that I assume is NOT OSS (or is it?) next to
their private, precious, top secret, federal grand jury type data their HDDs.

I had hoped to hear an effervescent informed
expert discussion (did I miss it?) on worries
some experts had for dowloading that black box
client from an almost admitted data sucker /
seller.  Eric Yuan / Zoom (ex-Webex)  -- was sued
twice for selling Mark Suckerburg data and his
software originally, initially banned by many
governments, Canada and Britain among them. And
here we are the nerdiest of the nerds downloading
his opaque encrypting client to our dearly loved
distros (and some that piss us off, too).

I tend to resist stampeding to bright shiny
objects following only the ass of the animal head
of me  -- when I can -- but sometimes bright
shiny objects are just the reality you have to
deal with. I do wish we'd foreseen that and
worked more on the Jitsi client -- or BBB -- but
we didn't -- as we aren't now working on some
much needed Public Infrastructure projects.
Wouldn't an OSS econometrics model(s) be really,
really nice right now for stimulus and
infrastructure and clawing back selfish tax cuts?

So, I have to adapt to our impeding Zoom and
here's an idea for those that don't want their
data on that same HDD sitting next to that Zoom
client -- it's ............................
YES!!! ............ the Zoomicator (c).

Great timing on Easter as it's intended to raise
from the dead old ancient deceased laptops with
camera and mic to live once again as Zoomicators.

Unfortunately, my knowledge of Linux still sucks
and I would welcome critiques and ideas and
suggestions from smarter Linux folks on the mechanics of making this happen.

One of the smartest general nerds I know
suggested --- "Puppy Linux" -- (or maybe puppy competitors?) --
https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=puppy

Since the Zoomicator is all about and, well, only
about "downloading" / installing an evil Linux
Zoom client on some innocent Linux distro and ALL about USER convenience --
Is there any reason I might want any OTHER distro
than Puppy -- if I'm only doing Zoom? I.E .....
--- Is there any reason to worry that the Zoom
Linux client won't work well -- or as well -- with Puppy?
--- Is / are there any additional Linux programs
/ apps / utilities that I might want to and worry to include with Puppy?
--- Can I fully boot directly from a thumbdrive
with Puppy with the Zoom client enabled or
"programmed" to self enable or user enabled as super-obvious?
--- Can I install to a HDD / RamDrive? (if there
is any RAM) some how from that SAME thumbdrive?
--- Can I completely -- totally -- automate
(program) that whole installation process to make
my Zoomicater thumbdrive attractive to total idiots or [censored]?

Is there any other Linux distro with which I --
as the User -- would have advantages over Puppy
for a Zoomicator if I knew it were to be used /
installed on any semi pseudo sort-of more modern
laptop with real RAM? Why? What advantages would
I have -- that I don't have with Puppy?

Dru
druw ( at ) oneimage dot com

https://www.avg.com