[lug] Q: why is there a wekafiles folder in my home directory? (ubuntu)

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Mon May 10 17:09:29 MDT 2021

I can't remember if this was discussed earlier - I found a 'wekafiles'
directory in my home directory and I don't know why it's there. It just
appeared a few days ago, and the 'weka' packages are NOT installed so it
wasn't just transitive dependencies.

I seem to recall reading something about Ubuntu using weka for indexing
user files, etc., but I have all of that turned off. The directories
(appear to be) empty.

I'm a bit concerned since I'm pretty sure I caught some malware earlier
that was using my broadband connection to scan IP addresses and it used an
illicit copy weka to index the information it collected. ("Illicit" in the
sense of maintaining its own copy.)

It's also possible it's our own product. Not my team - but I just noticed
our machine learning group uses an 'autoweka' java library and it's
possible it's leaking.

Thx

Bear