[lug] Ubuntu 18.04 Route Metric

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Thu May 20 08:34:06 MDT 2021

Hi,

I have both an internal private router with no access to the outside world, plus my usual and average cable connection. Two separate NICs. Every once in awhile the metric changes, and it tries to make my default route through the interface which has no access to the outside world. I can delete that default route manually, or I can change metrics manually so that the public interface has the higher priority, but this never sticks through a reboot.

I've been through a lot of public web searches on how to make this permanent, and all kinds of file edits or tools are ignored after a reboot. Ubuntu 18.04 is a pain in the *ss with networking, ignoring everything I've thrown at it. Does anyone here know how to force my Ubuntu 18.04 to completely leave out a default route for my private router? Or to permanently set that route to a low priority, or to permanently set my public interface to metric of 1? "Permanently" is the key, it is very frustrating to do this without ripping out all of Ubuntu's networking and manually putting in older tools (which I'd probably fail at anyway).

If it helps, I don't use WiFi. This is all from two wired NICs.

Thanks!