[lug] Ubuntu 18.04 Route Metric

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Fri May 21 10:41:57 MDT 2021

Netplan - I don't know. One of the reasons I got the dual-NIC cards is so I
can experiment with advanced network configurations. They aren't quite
there yet since I need a newer kernel for the 2.5 Gbps NICs and only one 10
Gbps switch.

(Switches - augh. There's virtually no 2.5 Gbps switches and 10 Gbps are
pretty expensive. Plus you have to deal with the mix between SFP and RJ-45
connectors. I found one switch with a bunch of RJ-45 2.5 Gbps ports and two
SFP 10 Gbps ports - and it's managed so you can use a VLAN! - but it costs
$400. My 5-port 10 Gbps switch cost $150+ and I had to get the pay more for
the SFP connectors. But I can now proudly announce that one of the links is
over fiber optics cable.)

Routing - Could you have a cron job that simply changes the priority of the
routes?