[lug] (Raspberry Pi) media center control?

Maxwell Spangler lists at maxwellspangler.com
Fri Jun 11 23:40:05 MDT 2021

On Fri, 2021-06-11 at 21:17 -0600, Davide Del Vento wrote:
> I'd like to have some sort of computer attached to my stereo for
> playing some music, mostly audio files which my piano teacher sends
> me, but also an occasional youtube and perhaps even a more occasional
> video (if I find a suitable way to see it, e.g. a mini projector such
> as https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B089W4YNTV/

Your query reminds me of where I was 6-10 years ago when I was
brainstorming different ways to integrate my TV and stereo with my
computers, a library of mp3 files and stored video files.

My solution for 2021 is now something I'm very happy with and the key
was to leverage hardware and software made to do the job:

For pure audio I have a set of old Apple Airport Express (from
Ebay) that let me Airplay from my iPhone to the Airport Express.  The
Airport Express devices were Apple's wireless access points before they
were discontinued.  Each has a 3.5mm audio jack and the Airplay
protocol to let iOS devices stream to them and out the jack.  So I
stream audio from any audio or video app on my phone to an Airport
which is connected to a room's stereo.  The stereo just takes the audio
stream from an input jack, amplifies it and plays it out of high
quality speakers.  Works great and with multiple 2nd gen Airports you
can stream to multiple Airports simultaneously  from one phone... as in
stream to multiple rooms from one phone in a synchronized fashion.
 Downside of this for you, is you are probably on Android ?

For Video or Audio stored on my NAS I have Apple TV and Roku Ultra set-
top boxes connected to a central HDTV with a Kenwood stereo with
speakers for stereo audio.

I use each set-top devices' native remote control and native Plex app
to access a store of music and videos stored locally on old hardware
running Linux and the backend Plex Media Server software.

If I want to play something stored on the NAS, it's a very reliable,
comfortable and easy to use experience to grab the remote, navigate to
what I want and enjoy it.  I tried the route of small Linux computers
and wireless keyboards and I like the primary UI of a remote control
talking to a high quality app plus a Linux laptop SSH'd into the
backend for admin work.

Plex apps exist for iOS and Android too, so I can play that same NAS
content on my phone or tablets with the need for an actual TV and
another set-top box.

In a lot of ways this is a solution I've wanted for about 20 years,
ever since I started accumulating mp3 files.  I wanted my own library
of audio first and then video.  I  started working on building that but
I wanted something better than having a dedicated computer with a
keyboard and mouse hooked up to my tv and stereo.  I thought about
small computers, tried a wireless Logitech keyboard with an integrated
track pad, etc, but I don't think any of that is as good as a
comfortable remote on a low-power, quiet set-top box with a backend
somewhere else doing its job to just serve content.

Would love to know more about how this compares to what you want to do.
--
Maxwell Spangler