[lug] (Raspberry Pi) media center control?

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Sat Jun 12 16:07:14 MDT 2021

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 13:10:47 -0600
Davide Del Vento wrote:

> > Another idea is using a bluetooth DAC to connect your phone to your
> > stereo system.
>
> Yes, I thought about that, and included in my list, linking the first
> device I could find on amazon about that.

I saw the projector, and keyboard, but not a DAC.

> But I know nothing about that, besides that I once used a wireless
> (probably bluetooth) headset with a very old Android Phone.
>
> Is bluetooth DAC the same as sending bluetooth audio to a receiver, or is
> it different? Google does not clarify.
> Wikipedia mentions A2DP as bluetooth audio, and nothing as bluetooth in
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital-to-analog_converter

The Bluetooth DAC would be a BT receiver for the digital audio signal,
coupled to a DAC for conversion to analog, and then whatever else comes
after, such as an amp for headphones, or maybe a pre-amp for line level.

I can't speak to the latency issues Michael mentioned, and perhaps that's
improved with the newer Bluetooth audio stuff. When I was shopping for a
Bluetooth speaker, there were many acronyms being tossed around. :P

I was thinking something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014A676BK

A lot of these BT audio DACs are targeted towards headphones, so you'd want
to be sure there's line-level audio out (which the ad copy might not say,
specifically, but "analog out" rather than "headphone jack" would be a
clue).
--
All operating systems suck, but Linux just sucks less
 - Linus Torvalds