[lug] 14 Characters

Maxwell Spangler lists at maxwellspangler.com
Wed Jun 16 17:22:47 MDT 2021

This happen to anyone else?

You're working away doing something and realize you don't have to think
about it much anymore because things have changed so much?

I'm just now renaming a folder and realizing I can't remember what
characters are allowed or not allowed (other than obviously no '/'
character on Linux, Unix, Mac, etc).

That makes me realize when I started DOS was 8.3 character size limits,
Unix (SVR3.2 for me) was 14 characters, Mac (HFS) was 31 characters.

It prompts me to think: how on earth did we manage with such
limitations, but I know.. we made it work. And now, in a lot of ways
we're much more productive because challenges like this have been
removed.

I really do appreciate things we don't have to fight with anymore like
naming files. For the most part.

Wikipedia: Comparison of file systems

--
Maxwell Spangler