[lug] 14 Characters

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Thu Jun 17 17:15:02 MDT 2021

On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 16:04:45 -0600
Jeffrey S. Haemer wrote:

> I think that, somewhere in the standard, POSIX also prohibits filenames
> that start with "-" (hyphen), since that could be confused with flags or
> an option, but someone else will have to hunt that one down.

Oh, I remember dealing with that. Long time ago, it bit me, though I don't
recall the details. Plays havoc with shell globbing and options. IIRC, one
of my cohorts at Space Imaging remarked that creating such a file is a
"fun" prank to play on one's fellow sysadmins. Possibly, but consequences
could ensue, maybe with a file name "-rf".

--
All operating systems suck, but Linux just sucks less
 - Linus Torvalds