[lug] OT: Android forced obsolescence

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Jul 28 16:09:03 MDT 2021

On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 09:56:01AM -0600, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
...snip...

> So instead of Android I will be - eventually - moving to PinePhone:
> https://pine64.com/product/pinephone-beta-edition-linux-smartphone/?v=0446c16e2e66  I have a phone distro for PiBox under development but it's very far
> from being usable.  But at least with PinePhone I don't have to build
> the hardware myself anymore (I tried - I'm not very good at it).  And I
> can use a Linux distro, not Android, so it's more akin to my world.
...snip...

FYI, I will be giving a video talk on the pinephone on aug 5th at nest
(the on-line version of Fedora's yearly conference).

See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Nest_with_Fedora_2021_Schedule for
the schedule and registration links.

Spoiler: it's pretty neat hardware especially for being so low
end/cheap. Sadly, more things need to get upstreamed before it can take
off on mainstream distros and more work is needed before it could be a
daily driver for most folks.

kevin