[lug] Mystery SSH diagnostic lines

Mike Witt msg2mw at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 19:35:15 MDT 2021

Interesting. Thanks for that info Bear.

We ran a few more tests and (it's a bit of a long and boring story) but
Tina can make the "event" happen by putting MS "Edge" (a browser) "to
sleep" (whatever that means) and then it eventually "wakes up" which
bothers Avast (the security program) at which point either Edge or
Avast appears to try to contact other machines on the network.

Why this would happen, or how she figured it out ... who knows.

But as near as we can determine it's some combination of Edge and
Avast. And I suppose that this may have happened before and I just
never noticed it. This machine used to be open to ssh from the world
and I often got ssh attempts. Now that it's closed, this event really
stood out in the logs.

I appreciate everyone's comments, but I'm afraid I wasted your time :-(

-Mike