[lug] LILO problems with System Commander

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Tue Sep 14 15:01:51 MDT 1999

I just did this the other night. LILO is very unforgiving about having a
SCSI drive be the boot drive when you have an IDE drive also. Here's what
happened to me:

Add IDE HD to SCSI system
Booted fine.
Built new kernel and ran LILO.
LILO complained about the SCSI drive not being the 1st drive.
Rebooted
Hung at LI
I then took the IDE HD out and booted. This time the screen was filled with
scrolling 01 01 01 01.

Moral of the story:

LILO really doesn't work right (Now before everyone says: OH, it works for
me... It doesn't work on any machine I have used) if you try to boot off a
SCSI drive in a system with both SCSI and IDE. My final workaround was to
boot the system from a floppy.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
Voice: 303 438 9585