[lug] notebook compatibility

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Sep 15 15:52:18 MDT 1999

On Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 03:42:33PM -0600, Sevinsky Joel wrote:
>some of the proprietary designs of some manufacturers.  In particular I am
>looking at Quantex, Dell, and Compaq in the price range of $2000.  Any
>help would be great.

Compaq has had a lot of problems with compatibility in the past, but I
don't know anything about their laptops these days.  I'd recommend the
IBM ThinkPads quit highly (I've had 3).  The Sony Vaio is pretty sweet
too, at 2.9 pounds.  Kevin has a Toshiba that he likes quite a lot.

If I were to get a new one, I'd be looking at the Vaio quite seriously
as an alternative to the new ThinkPads.  Shaving another 1.5 pounds off
the lightest ThinkPad would be nice.

Whatever you do, get something with the NeoMagic video chipset.

Sean
--
 Gone Postal Sort: Iterate over elements, any element that is out of order you
 blow away.  -- Evelyn, Kevin, and Sean, watching Monty Python and reading DDJ