[lug] NOAA FSL buys a beowulf

llornkcor at llornkcor.com llornkcor at llornkcor.com
Sat Sep 18 18:16:26 MDT 1999

    There was something like this a couple weeks ago, about IBM selling them a "super computer" running linux, and had like a few hundred terrabytes of HDD, and a few gigs of ram. Not sure if this is the same thing. I think it came through the list here. It's truely amazing how fast the technology has grown, and how cheap memory is now. Its like digital watches, and pocket calculators, being a hundred dollars, that now, go for under $5. Too bad cars and houses aren't like that....
    I wonder if this has alpha processors? and how many. Isn't the current kernel dev having problems with systems with more than 8 processors?, or is it 4?
    I also wonder if NOAA has a connection to internet II? Didn't CU get one? geeez, I must be bored...

LP