[lug] further Red Hat 6.1 info

Calvin Dodge caldodge at ix.netcom.com
Tue Oct 5 16:06:36 MDT 1999

For those who asked (I just upgraded my 6.0 system with the 6.1 disk):

1) RH 6.1 does a GUI install by default if it recognizes the video card (like
my embedded Riva 128) - during boot-up you can select a text install if you
prefer.

2) It has a "new hardware detect" phase during bootup - and it saw my Tekram
SCSI card, my Yamaha SCSI CD writer, and the embedded ESS sound chip (which Red
Hat has no drivers for, but it pointed me to a URL for a beta sound driver).

I'll be sure to holler to the group if I see anything else interesting.

Calvin

--
"... she was a calligraphy enthusiast, with a slight overbite, and hair the
color of strained peaches. I'll never forget the very first thing she said to