[lug] umsdos linux

Mike Vigorita Mike.Vigorita at commerce.com
Thu Nov 4 15:34:59 MST 1999

If I remember my umsdos correctly, umsdos "fakes" a linux fs.  The one big
problem is that the DOS FS does not understand long filenames (at least, it
didn't before Win95), and it doesn't understand the different types of
permissions.

Umsdos creates a "--linux--.---" file in all it's directories.  This is
where it stores the full filenames, and the permissions on the various
files.  Theoretically (I've never tried this), you can copy files into the
DOS linux directory structure; then in your "linux" window (whatever), if
you run 'umssync' it will update the ---linux---.--- file with the new
filename you put into the dir.  This should fix your problem of copying
files in, and not seeing them until you re-boot.  On startup, Linux
automatically runs 'umssync' to update all the ---linux---.--- files.

As for it being slow, yup.  DOS is a slow FS, compared to NTFS and Linux
native...

As far as mangling is concerned, I'm not sure what you mean.  It destroys
the file content?  Could this be some kind of ASCII-like conversion going on
(or not going on)?

Lastly, yes, Windows will show you the linux filenames in the "~" format.
And, Linux will show you the Windows filenames in the "~" format.  If I
remember correctly, if you load the vfat32 driver, with umsdos, you will see
the full filenames of your Winblows files...

Viggy