[lug] Press Draft

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Fri Nov 5 12:07:05 MST 1999

"Ferdinand P. Schmid" wrote:

> >From personal experience I can only confirm Wayde's point.  We need to catch
> the mainstream crowd with positive press.

Certainly - be positive, friendly, cheerful, non-obstructing, etc.

But don't assume that everyone who goes to such an event is a blindly loyal
Microsoft enthusiast.

It was at such an event last year that I was persuaded to try the consumer beta
of Win98 - and its eventual failure (totally crashing the computer I installed
it on) was the push I needed to get me to try Linux.  I might have tried it a
little earlier if someone had been handing out CDs (and perhaps the offer of
free initial tech support) at that event.

So go - be nice - but don't be surprised if at least _some_ people respond well
to your efforts.

I'd be there, too, if I didn't have to be at work that day, coping with the
consequences of a licensed NOS (Netware, in my case).

Calvin
http://www.caldodge.fpcc.net

--
"Hey feller! I bet you're still living in your parents' cellar
Downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar

- "It's All About The Pentiums"