[lug] transfer rates on 10mb ethernet

Andrew Gilmore gilmorea at verglas.Colorado.EDU
Wed Nov 10 07:07:22 MST 1999

On Tue, Nov 09, 1999 at 07:50:44PM -0700, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 09, 1999 at 05:10:36PM -0700, Ian Hall-Beyer wrote:
> >For that matter, the NetGear tulip-based card really hauls ass, and
> >it's only about 20 bucks.
>
> I was really digging them until about 6 months ago when they changed
> the chipset and it started requiring that you ping from a remote host
> before the driver would come up.  Netgear distributed a fixed driver
> for Linux -- in a Self-extracting ZIP file.  <sigh>

Heh, I've sometimes been stymied by this sort of thing, until I realized that
"unzip" for UNIX can just as easily read the self-extracting ZIP as any other
kind. It does portray a certain cluelessness on their part. :)

Andrew

p.s. unzip(1M) says that it can be found at: http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/