[lug] tar command with ZIP 250MB

Dale Harris rodmur at maybe.org
Sat Nov 27 12:44:04 MST 1999

On Sat, Nov 27, 1999 at 12:13:27PM -0700, David Willcox elucidated:
> Does anyone happen to know if I can use the 'tar' command to backup date to
> a ZIP 250MB drive on a Linux box without having to use 'vfat' as my file type.
> If so what syntax would you use and what file type would I use? My command
> that I tried was 'mount -t vfat /dev/sda4 /zip' and it does work. But I guess I don't
> understand if my file are being backup up in a DOS format or what and if I ever
> need them back I would be in trouble or can someone explain this to me.
>
> I have only one hardrive dedicated totally to Linux ver.6.5
>
> Appreciate any help with this and thanks ahead,
>
> Dave Willcox :-)

Well, if you don't want to use vfat and you want to store or backup files
to the ZIP, you could make a file system on the ZIP.  You you'd have
to do something like:

mkfs -t ext2 /dev/sda4

Then you can mount it.

mount -t ext2 /dev/sda4

Now this pretty much assumes that you only want to use it on Linux, and
don't care about sharing it with NT.