[lug] suggestions needed

Pedersen, Michael J PederMJ at LOUISVILLE.STORTEK.COM
Fri Dec 3 09:24:51 MST 1999

> For one accustomed to RedHat's style of thinking or any other
> distro for
> that matter, Caldera is different.  There are growing pains as you
> adjust to the new mentality (I had my fair share of awkwardness as I
> adjusted).  But those pains occur when switching from Windows to Linux
> for the first time.  The number of problems that I have had
> with Caldera
> have not been greater than the problems I have had with Redhat or
> Mandrake.  I have no experience with Debian but I've heard lots of
> positive.

Each distro requires some new thinking processes (with the possible
exception of Mandrake, which is supposedly just a better RedHat until the
latest release).  Debian seems to work better with my brain, but I've always
some miswiring going on, so your mileage may vary :)

> My experience with Caldera has been positive on the whole.  It seems

Overall, Caldera was a beautiful distribution.  I just found it, in the
short time I used it, to be very unforgiving of mistakes.  That may have
been a misperception, but there you have it.

> that each distribution has its graces and its warts, just
> that the warts
> and graces seem to be in different places on each distribution.

Agreed.  Each one is different, with its own pluses and minuses.  I'm no
expert on what each of those are (ever since things like peanutlinux have
come out, I've given up on knowing the merits of all of them).

> So if you have a caldera CD, use it.  If you have a Debian
> CD, try that
> one out too.  I'd love to have about 5 boxes to play with
> many different
> distributions, but I don't think my wife would be too keen on that.

Ah, don't do that to yourself.  Just get one linux box, stack it up with 3
really big hard drives, and then use the procedure I outlined in a previous
post to install multiple distributions.  It'll work, and you'll get to play,
without getting in trouble.  Of course, if you have a Jazz drive, you're
also good to go (provided you can boot off your Jazz :)

> This is just another view point on Caldera, it's not intended to be a
> flame (apologies if it comes across as one).

It did not come across as a flame in any fashion, please don't think it did.

> If you do decide to stick with caldera, I have found their
> user forum to
> have some good knowledgeable people on it and of a high caliber (just
> expect about 75-100 msg/day)

Well, that's a very good thing to hear.  It also means that support for
Caldera is easier to find than I thought it would be, which was one of the
deciding factors in my not using it. Even though it wasn't mentioned in my
have the answer for, so in the end, I let Caldera go.

Thanks for your info on Caldera.  I'm glad that it does have a better
support base than I would have thought, and that others do have very good
experiences with it.

Have a good day!