[lug] SCSI disk questions

Harris, James A (Jim) HarriJA at LOUISVILLE.STORTEK.COM
Wed Dec 15 10:43:40 MST 1999

I would definitely go for a new controller.  I believe the Tekram Ultra2
controllers are supposed to be Linux compatible (correct me anyone if I'm
wrong, I'm thinking about buying one eventually.)  Only about $170 online.
There are two models, one which supports only Ultra2 and the other that does
Ultra2, UltraWide and SCSI-2 natively.  Sounds perty cool if ya ask me.

Ya might wanna look into them.  My favorite online store that has 'em is
http://www.mwave.com.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey B. Siegal [mailto:jbs at quiotix.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 1999 4:40 PM
To: lug at lug.boulder.co.us
Subject: Re: [lug] SCSI disk questions

Stephen Coffin wrote:
> 1) If I get a new, fast, wide [etc] SCSI hard disk, will it work
> with my old, slow narrow [etc] 2940 controller, or do I need a
> new controller?

To hook up a wide SCSI hard disk to a narrow SCSI controller, you need an
adapter.  These are usually pretty expensive ($50 or more) so you might
consider a new controller.

Other than wide/narrow, the other differences are fine.  The drive and
controller will negotiate the highest speed supported by both.

> 2) What is a good retailer (local or mail-order) to buy SCSI
> disks?

I've had good luck with ONSALE (now Egghead).