[lug] dual boot

Charles Morrison cmorrison at info2000.net
Thu Dec 16 21:18:56 MST 1999

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, you wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I am new to this board and to Linux.  I  wish to set up a PC with both
> Win NT (Win 2000) and Linux abilities at CU.  It has been suggested that
> the best way to do this is using something called VM-Ware, which will
> enable me to switch between the two without re-booting the PC.
>
> Do those knowledgeable on this topic concur with this.

Yes, that is true.

> The manufacturer's name of this software would be useful to help me
> locate it, and the correct spelling if I do not have this right.

You can download it from http://www.vmware.com There is a trial license you can
use to try it out. I used it with NT and found it ran much better under vmware
in LInux than by itself. On the other hand, I don't use NT anymore for anything
and am MUCH happier as a result. I now use vmware (yes, I bought a license) to
try out various Linux distributions. I hear it works with FreeBSD now too.

> Ideas for good Linux books for beginners are also welcome
>
> Stephen Henderson
> Physics / CU

I find it dangerous to recommend "Linux books for beginners". I recommend that
you go to the bookstore (The buffalo chip has a discount for LUG members if I
recall) and page through a bunch. Having said that, I hear that Maddog's Linux
for Dummies is pretty good for light reading. :-)

 --
Chuck Morrison
Sr. Systems Engineer