[lug] Backups Again

Nate Duehr nduehr at inflow.com
Mon Jan 3 14:22:06 MST 2000

If you're looking for NETWORK backup software, I'm not a good resource.
However, I've heard really good things about the Amanda project's stuff
which is free software on Linux (it has a license very similar to BSD's
without the advertising clause).  www.amanda.org

If you're looking for backup software to backup locally to a tape drive,
I personally like BRU.  It works.  It's relatively inexpensive, and
their tech support is outstanding.  They also have the newer CRU (Crash
Recovery Utility) which claims to be able to completely restore a Linux
system from a floppy and your BRU backup tapes, but I never got the
first released version to work the way I wanted it to.  It's bound to be
more mature by now, and probably works very well if past experience with
BRU is any indication of future performance.  (Been reading too many
prospectus' lately!  :) )

It has the interesting feature that it claims to be able to restore from
a floppy and a networked BRU server (note: the personal version of BRU
won't do network stuff, if I remember correctly, only the full version).

Nate, nate at natetech.com